Support 911Blogger


911blogger.com seeks to cover a broad spectrum of news, posts in the blogs section are the responsibility of the poster, readers are encouraged to check the facts and form their own conclusions.

simuvac's blog

Jonathan Kay of the National Post reveals just how ignorant he really is about 9/11.

(Edit: I changed the headline of this blog from an insult directed at Kay generally, referring to how big of an 'a-hole' he is, to something a little less offensive, and a little more apt. My apologies, Mr. Kay, you are just ignorant. -rep.)

He admits he's never read the 9/11 Commission Report or any of its rebuttals.

Jonathan Kay on the humbling frustrations of debating 9/11 "Truthers"
Posted: October 27, 2008, 1:30 PM by Jonathan Kay
Jonathan Kay

Want to fill up your inbox? Write a column denouncing the “9/11 Truth Movement.”

Bin Laden is writing a book?

Osama's+book+to+counter+anti-Qaeda+campaign

Book to shed light on Qaeda, 9/11 attack | Will highlight atrocities against Muslims

KARACHI: Osama bin Laden, an Arab militant leader, is busy these days writing a book in Arabic language on the struggle the Al Qaeda network that dispenses money and logistical support and training to radical groups and has presence in more than 50 countries.

According to a private television channel on Friday, the book will be later translated into English, as Osama has decided to pen a book on his global organization as a response to the propaganda and insufficient information about the Al Qaeda.

"Osama is writing a book with the assistance of a young man with a Middle Eastern background who will later translate the text into English," the channel reported. The Al Qaeda leader, in his book, has particularly mentioned atrocities being meted out to Muslims in contemporary times by the Western world.

Law professor: Terrorism laws can be used to stifle dissent

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iHZe_gHx3Ayv5Bu2R-ec9icxbjyA

UNITED NATIONS (AFP) — Britain's use of anti-terror laws to freeze the assets of failing Icelandic banks shows how such legislation can be abused for purposes other than originally intended, according to a UN independent expert.

"It is indicative of the risks that measures that are originally inserted into legislation in the name of fighting terrorism may have a spillover effect into matters which have nothing to do with terrorism," said Martin Scheinin, the United Nations' special rapporteur on the protection of human rights in the fight against terrorism.

Last week Icelandic Prime Minister Geir Haarde accused London of "bullying a small neighbour" over funds frozen in the online bank Icesave, and threatened to take legal action in response.

Haarde was reacting to London's use of anti-terrorist laws to freeze the assets of failing Icelandic banks in Britain as it sought to protect the deposits of thousands of British savers and public bodies.

Chertoff: Change in U.S. President May Spur Terror Plot

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=a7MuiagBPMz4&refer=us

Oct. 22 (Bloomberg) -- Terrorists may see the change to a new U.S. president over the next six months as a prime chance to attack, no matter who wins the White House, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said.

``Any period of transition creates a greater vulnerability, meaning there's more likelihood of distraction,'' Chertoff said in an interview yesterday. ``You have to be concerned it will create an operational opportunity for terrorists.''

The risk is the same whether Democrat Barack Obama or Republican John McCain is elected president on Nov. 4, he said. That comment undercuts McCain's argument that the U.S. would be more in danger of an attack if Obama, 47, wins.

McCain, 72, has been citing remarks by Democratic vice presidential nominee Joe Biden on Oct. 19 that ``it will not be six months before the world tests Barack Obama like they did John Kennedy,'' should Obama win the White House.

9/11 skeptics resurface

The National Post is like Canada's version of The Washington Times, a neocon rag.

9/11 skeptics resurface

Conspiracy theorists thought election could bring their 'issue' to the fore

Adrian Humphreys, National Post Published: Monday, October 20, 2008

The spreading ripples of conspiracy to silence those dismissing the official version of what happened on Sept. 11, 2001, got one ring larger recently: this newspaper was dragged into the subterfuge when an article on 9/11 conspiracy theories in the federal election campaign was delayed due to space limitations.

It did not take long for the missing story to add to an already complicated plot for a number of 9/11 skeptics who had been contacted for the story -- and who were already deeply mistrustful of the mainstream media.

"Who got to you?" one wrote to the reporter after the story was not in the newspaper the next day. He then suggested the reporter was never really working on a story but rather gleaning information on the movement for some unspoken purpose.

Rumsfeld Updated Army's Continuity of Operations Plan before 9/11

http://antifascist-calling.blogspot.com/2008/10/exclusive-rumsfeld-updated-armys.html

Ten months before the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld approved an updated version of the U.S. Army's secret operational Continuity of Government (COG) plans.

A draft document published by the whistleblowing website Wikileaks entitled, "Army Regulation 500-3, Emergency Employment of Army and Other Resources. Army Continuity of Operations (COOP) Program," dated 19 January 2001, spells out changes in Army doctrine.

Issued by Headquarters, Department of the Army and signed off by Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld and the Secretary of the Army, the document is affixed with a warning: "Destruction Notice: Destroy by any method that will prevent disclosure of contents or reconstruction of the document." The restricted document as published by Wikileaks states:

History. This regulation is a revision of the original regulation that was effective on 10 July 1989. Since that time, no changes have been published to amend the original.

British diplomat advises leaving "acceptable dictator" in Afghanistan

British+diplomat+feels+Afghan+war+being+lost:+report
Story cites leaked cable from France's deputy ambassador in Kabul
Last Updated: Wednesday, October 1, 2008 | 10:14 AM ET
CBC News

A French newspaper has published what appears to be a diplomatic cable saying Britain's ambassador to Kabul thinks the West is losing the battle for Afghanistan.

The coded cable reproduced Wednesday in Le Canard Enchaîné seems to be from France's deputy ambassador to Afghanistan, François Fitou, describing a conversation he had with the British ambassador to Kabul, Sherard Cowper-Coles.

It says Cowper-Coles believes the West's war against Taliban forces in Afghanistan is being lost and the coalition that includes Canada's Armed Forces should leave an "acceptable dictator" in charge of the country within five to 10 years.

"We have no alternative to supporting the United States in Afghanistan, but we should tell them that we want to be part of a winning strategy, not a losing one," the cable paraphrases the ambassador as saying.

Another story about an October Surprise from al-CIA-duh

US steps up Pakistan raids to thwart al-Qaeda 'October surprise' plot

By Philip Sherwell in New York and Massoud Ansari in Islamabad
Last Updated: 12:20AM BST 28 Sep 2008

The Pentagon has ordered that raids on suspected terrorist targets within Pakistan be stepped up to pressurise al-Qaeda leaders and distract them from preparing attacks on American targets elsewhere.

"The aim is to disrupt their scope for planning and keep their leaders on the move so that it is more difficult for them to co-ordinate complicated plots," a senior US intelligence official told The Sunday Telegraph.

The operations launched from neighbouring Afghanistan have led to sharply increased tensions with Pakistan's armed forces since President George W.Bush recently authorised assaults involving "boots on the ground" without prior approval by Pakistan's government, a supposed US ally.

Who was behind the Radical Islam DVD?

Who Is Behind the ‘Radical Islam’ DVD?
Posted on Sep 23, 2008

By Will Evans, Center for Investigative Reporting

The Secret Money blog is a joint project of the Center for Investigative Reporting and National Public Radio.

The blogosphere is alive with the sound of buzz—all about an inflammatory DVD on radical Islam being distributed to millions of households at the peak of election season.

Critics are calling the DVD, “Obsession: Radical Islam’s War Against the West,” anti-Muslim hate, or politicking, or both. It doesn’t mention or even obliquely allude to the presidential candidates. It couldn’t, since it was made in 2006. But as whisper campaigns dog Obama with rumors that he’s a secret Muslim, the DVD showed up as an insert in some 70 newspapers, with an emphasis in swing states.

The obvious question: Who is behind it?

Is Al-CIA-duh planning an October Surprise?

http://jeffreygoldberg.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/09/the_steve_coll_interview_an_al.php

Jeffrey Goldberg: Do you think al-Qaeda is planning an "October surprise," an attack on an American target, here or overseas, in order to influence the election?

Steve Coll: AQ leaders, maybe because they spend a lot of time trapped and bored in safehouses, seem to be obsessed with calendars. They like anniversaries and they pay attention to elections abroad. So I'm sure they have the American election in mind. My last well-sourced conversation is a few weeks dated, but last I checked the US intel system was very quiet in terms of "chatter" or other indicators of any attack in the U.S. What seems more likely are more attacks against US-affiliated targets in the Pak-Afghan region, coupled with media tape releases, similar to Osama's election-eve video of 2004. They like to be heard at big moments in American politics, and this campaign is certainly such a moment.

----------------------------------------------------------

Scientific American says "electrons unlocked post-9/11 anthrax mail mystery"

Seven+Years+Later:+Electrons+Unlocked+Post-9/11+Anthrax+Mail+Mystery
A key part of the FBI's early investigation was finding whether the germ that killed five people in late 2001 was weaponized. Although they found the answer, scientists had to keep mum until the agency completed its inquiry

By Larry Greenemeier

When materials scientist Joseph Michael and his team at Sandia National Laboratories in Albuquerque, N.M., trained their high-powered electron microscope on anthrax spore samples the FBI had sent them in February 2002, they made two crucial discoveries: The first confirmed previous findings that the Bacillus anthracis spores mailed to U.S. Senate offices and various media outlets (shortly after the September 11 terrorist attacks) contained silicon, a substance used to turn anthrax-causing spores into a biological weapon.

Former Joint Chiefs chairman, Richard Myers, remembers 9/11

Is this a new claim about how the hijackers were identified? Richard Clarke said the FBI identified them by the airline passenger lists.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123115461

Former Joint Chiefs chairman remembers 9/11

by 1st Lt. Brad Kimberly
Air University Public Affairs

9/16/2008 - MAXWELL AIR FORCE BASE, Ala. (AFPN) -- Sept. 11 was a day of remembrance across the country as Americans reflected on the events that occurred that day in 2001.

Gen. Richard B. Myers, the now-retired chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, traveled to Maxwell to speak at the Air Force Wargaming Institute. While here he shared his unique perspective of what happened that day and offered his outlook on the continuing war on terrorism.

At the time, General Myers was serving as the vice-chairman of the Joint Chiefs, but recently had been nominated by President George W. Bush for chairman. That nomination kept the general away from the Pentagon as the attacks began.

YouTube bans "terrorism training videos"

I wonder how YouTube defines terrorism?

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1221142454835&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FPrinter

Sep. 12, 2008
Associated Press , THE JERUSALEM POST

You won't find terrorist training videos on YouTube anymore.

Google's popular video-sharing site now bans this footage that advertises terrorism or extremist causes. Backers of the change hope it will blunt al-Qaida's strong media online campaign.

After pressure from Connecticut Senator Joseph Lieberman, the Internet search engine revised its community guidelines for posting videos on YouTube.

In addition to the ban on terror training videos, the new YouTube guidelines include bans on: videos that incite others to commit violent acts; videos on things like how to make bombs; and footage of sniper attacks.

The Internet has become a powerful tool for terrorism recruitment. What was once conducted at secret training camps in Afghanistan is now available to anyone, anywhere because of the Web. Chat rooms are potent recruitment tools, but counterterrorism officials have found terrorist-sponsored videos are also key parts of al-Qaida's propaganda machine.