My local newspaper has published two letters. One from my campaigning colleague two weeks ago and the response is from myself this week. The circulation is about 20,000.
Holder: Miranda may need changes for terrorists
By STEVEN R. HURST (AP) – 8 hours ago
WASHINGTON — In the wake of the Times Square bombing plot, the Obama administration said on Sunday it wants to work with Congress on possible limitations of the constitutional rights afforded terrorism suspects — even for American citizens.
Attorney General Eric Holder said changes may be needed to allow law enforcement more time to question suspected terrorists before they are told about their Miranda rights to a lawyer and to remain silent under interrogation.
As the nation debates how to proceed against terrorist attacks, particularly as they have become the work of individuals who are difficult to detect in advance, the administration has been heavily criticized for reading Miranda rights to suspects in the Christmas Day attempt to blow up a plane heading for Detroit and the May 1 Times Square plot.
Terrorism has presented all sides in the debate with a delicate balancing act, protecting the rights of the individuals accused of terrorism while also attending to public safety.
Defense lawyer Scott Fenstermaker in an interview with The Populist describes how he was blocked by the government from representing 9/11 detainees and how the judges and lawyers in the New York trial may themselves be prosecuted in a future war crimes tribunal.
Scott Fenstermaker, the 9/11 Lawyer, Speaks Out The Populist, November 30th, 2009
Scott Fenstermaker has become the lightning rod for 9/11. He is the only defense lawyer mentioned in the upcoming trials of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and his four co-conspirators. Although he won’t be defending them in court, he’s been pilloried by the press for daring to suggest that these detainees have any legal rights.
I called him this weekend, and asked him why.
Scott Fenstermaker has represented Ali Abd al-Aziz Ali in various legal proceedings at Guantanamo Bay. Mr. Ali stands accused of conspiracy, murder, destruction of property, hijacking, and terrorism for his part in the September 11th attacks. I could not understand why Mr. Fenstermaker would not defend his client in court, so I began the interview by asking him to clarify this:
November 10, 2009 12:01 AM
Justice Dept. Asked For News Site's Visitor Lists
Posted by Declan McCullagh
(AP / CBS)
In a case that raises questions about online journalism and privacy rights, the U.S. Department of Justice sent a formal request to an independent news site ordering it to provide details of all reader visits on a certain day.
The grand jury subpoena also required the Philadelphia-based Indymedia.us Web site "not to disclose the existence of this request" unless authorized by the Justice Department, a gag order that presents an unusual quandary for any news organization.
Kristina Clair, a 34-year old Linux administrator living in Philadelphia who provides free server space for Indymedia.us, said she was shocked to receive the Justice Department's subpoena. (The Independent Media Center is a left-of-center amalgamation of journalists and advocates that – according to their principles of unity and mission statement – work toward "promoting social and economic justice" and "social change.")
N.S.A.’s Intercepts Exceed Limits Set by Congress
By ERIC LICHTBLAU and JAMES RISEN
Published: April 15, 2009
WASHINGTON — The National Security Agency intercepted private e-mail messages and phone calls of Americans in recent months on a scale that went beyond the broad legal limits established by Congress last year, government officials said in recent interviews.
Several intelligence officials, as well as lawyers briefed about the matter, said the N.S.A. had been engaged in “overcollection” of domestic communications of Americans. They described the practice as significant and systemic, although one official said it was believed to have been unintentional.
Former Accused Iraqi Agent Reveals Facts about 9/11 Warning
I first wrote about Susan Lindauer's struggle against the Bush-Cheney regime in October 2007, "American Cassandra: Susan Lindauer's Story." This was initially published in "Scoop" Independent Media (complete series) and carried by a wide variety of concerned Internet news sites and blogs. This interview follows the full dismissal of charges against her just before President Obama's inauguration on January 20, 2009. This is the first in depth interview that Lindauer has offered regarding 911. Below is part one of the interview.
"Eric H. Holder Jr. was sworn in as the 82nd Attorney General of the United States on February 3, 2009 by Vice-President Joe Biden." -US Department of Justice website
Office of the Attorney General - 202-353-1555
E-mails to the Department of Justice, including the Attorney General, may be sent to AskDOJ@usdoj.gov
Attorney General Eric H. Holder
U.S. Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20530-0001
Ladies and Gentlemen,
With each change of personnel, there is the chance -- however slight -- that the new appointee will NOT be okay with high treason perpetrated by the former regime.
It is incumbent upon us to contact and to inform the new Attorney General of the facts of the case in the simplest, most easily digestible terms. This is not a place for conspiracy theories, claims that cannot be proven, or sloppy language.
It is a place for simple, straightforward facts that indicate wrongdoing on the part of Bush et al.
Live Broadcast of Eric Holder Confirmation Hearing on No Lies Radio Thursday Jan 15th at 6am Pacific – 9am Eastern
Former FBI Translator Makes Shocking Allegations: Charges Top US Officials Involved in Nuclear Secrets Theft; Knew About 911
March 6, 2008
Former FBI Translator Makes Shocking Allegations
Charges Top US Officials Involved in Nuclear Secrets Theft; Knew About 911 in Advance
By Huntingtonnews.net Staff
A woman who has been fighting to have her charges heard for years has spoken to the Sunday Times of London in a series of stories, the first of which is headlined, "For sale: West’s deadly nuclear secrets."
Sibel Deniz Edmonds is a Turkish-American former FBI translator and founder of the National Security Whistleblowers Coalition (NSWBC). Edmonds was fired from her position as a language specialist at the FBI's Washington Field Office in March, 2002, after she accused a colleague of covering up illicit activity involving foreign nationals, alleging serious acts of security breaches, cover-ups, and intentional blocking of intelligence which, she contended, presented a danger to the United States' security.
Shooting the Messenger
By: William F. Jasper
July 7, 2008
For six years, Sibel Edmonds has been carrying out an heroic crusade to protect her adopted country from national security threats within the top levels of the American government. Hired as an FBI translator in the wake of the 9/11 terror attacks, Edmonds, a Turkish American, threw herself into the daunting task of translating thousands of hours of recordings of backlogged intercepts in Turkic, Farsi, and Azerbaijani.
What she heard on the tapes was alarming: Turkish agents in the United States bribing high-level U.S. officials and obtaining our military and intelligence secrets. What she witnessed at the FBI was even more appalling: translators who were intentionally filing false translations and passing information to foreign powers; and, what’s even worse, FBI superiors who did nothing about it when these serious breaches were brought to their attention.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 30, 2008
TDD (202) 514-1888
National Security Division Launches New Office of Intelligence
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Patrick Rowan, Acting Assistant Attorney General for National Security, today announced the formal launch of the Office of Intelligence within the Justice Department’s National Security Division (NSD). The reorganization creates three new sections within the Office of Intelligence dedicated to the NSD’s three primary intelligence related functions – operations, oversight and litigation.
The Department of Justice has played a critical role in the nation’s effort to prevent acts of terrorism and to thwart hostile foreign intelligence activities. Since the 9/11 terrorist attacks, the Department’s Office of Intelligence Policy and Review (OIPR) has grown dramatically because of the steady increase in the number of applications it has handled under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) in an effort to ensure that Intelligence Community agencies have the authority necessary to conduct intelligence operations.
This is the outline for a speech i recently delivered in my Communications class- 13 people including the teacher, no one had ever heard of her, 3 seemed uninterested/annoyed, the rest were interested, some deeply, some seemed a bit shaken up, at least 3 (including the teacher) took note of her website "justacitizen.org" when i mentioned that at the end. I'll be adapting this as a longer article with sources linked, but this outline format worked well for the speech- i practiced it about 5 times and basically just delivered the outline- 7"30'
By Larry Chin
Online Journal Associate Editor
Mar 31, 2008, 00:18
Email this article
Printer friendly page
In a recent speech at San Francisco’s Commonwealth Club, Attorney General Michael Mukasey defended the Bush-Cheney administration’s illegal domestic spying agenda by proclaiming that the 9/11 attacks could have been prevented if the government had been able to monitor overseas phone calls to the United States.
Like every other member of the Bush-Cheney administration, Mukasey is lying. Lying about the fact that the “war on terrorism” is a fabrication. Lying about the pervasive worldwide eavesdropping capabilities of US intelligence agencies. Lying about the fact that 9/11 was a long-planned Anglo-American false flag covert operation.
According to Mukasey’s spin on the now-classic 9/11 fiction, Bush-Cheney “knew there had been a call from some place that was known to be a safe house in Afghanistan and we knew that it came to the United States. We didn’t know precisely where it went. We’ve got 3,000 people who went to work that day, and didn’t come home, to show for that.”
Clinton's response to questions about charges filed last week against six Guantanamo prisoners was the most far reaching of the three leading presidential candidates.
Clinton would seek to try 9/11 plotters in established courts
By Carol Rosenberg, McClatchy NewspapersSun Feb 17, 6:57 PM ET
If elected president, Hillary Clinton would ask the Justice Department to determine if alleged 9/11 plotters currently held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba , could be tried in civilian courts or regular military courts rather than face military commissions that have sparked controversy both inside and outside the United States , her campaign says.
Clinton's response to questions about charges filed last week against six Guantanamo prisoners was the most far reaching of the three leading presidential candidates.
Her opponent for the Democratic nomination, Sen. Barack Obama , D-Ill., said that the so-called "high-value detainees'' at Guantanamo should be tried in federal or traditional military courts, but did not say what actions he would take to move the trials.
At HuffingtonPost, Joseph Palermo discusses Allen Raymond's book, How to Rig an Election: Confessions of a Republican Operative. One tactic he describes involves obstruction from the Department of Justice:
"Raymond describes how the Bush Justice Department essentially obstructed justice by blocking Democratic attempts to depose New Hampshire Republican Party officials about Raymond's illegal phone-jamming system. The Department of Justice under Attorney General John Ashcroft stopped the deposition "on the grounds that it would interfere with the ongoing criminal investigation." In the years since 2002, that tactic -- claiming no investigation can be conducted because it might interfere with an ongoing investigation -- has become a Bush staple in covering up crimes ranging from the illegal use of torture and warrantless surveillance, to the leaking of a CIA agent's identity and the disappearance of White House phone and email logs. It's all spin; the fabled "permanent campaign" in operation."
A 2006 photograph of Zacarias Moussaoui.
Pilot gets $5 million for Sept. 11 tip
Flight instructor urged bosses to contact FBI about Moussaoui
NBC News and news services
updated 7:47 p.m. CT, Thurs., Jan. 24, 2008
The Bush administration paid a $5 million reward to a former Minnesota flight instructor who provided authorities with information that led to the arrest and conviction of 9/11 conspirator Zacarias Moussaoui.
The recipient, Clarence Prevost, was honored Thursday at a closed-door ceremony at the State Department, although the payout was secretly authorized last fall by Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and the Justice Department, U.S. officials told The Associated Press.
The reward from the State Department's "Rewards for Justice" program is the first and only one to date to a U.S. citizen related to the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, the officials said.
Justice Dept. Sets Criminal Inquiry Into C.I.A. Tapes
Sibel Edmonds has been silenced by a Justice Department “State Secrets” gag order for years from dispensing her deep knowledge of what she has openly described as treason and other big-time criminality at the highest levels of the government. All she has wanted is her day in court. So we need to help give it to her.
The way to do it is to press charges of misprision of treason against her with a federal judiciary. She has wanted someone to press the issue for all these years so she could release the healing poison of deep political truth corked and bottled within her by Patriot Act Enforcer Man himself, John Ashcroft. She is in a very difficult place in that she clearly feels a serious compunction to uphold her oath to the constitution and out the treasonous activities, but is stifled by the gag order and will potentially nullify the legal impact of her revelations if she breaks said order.
US Justice ties abuse of power to the events of September 11, Patriot act, and “persistent fear mongering”
US Justice ties abuse of power to the events of September 11, Patriot act and “persistent fear mongering”
A “longtime attorney at the U.S. Department of Justice” says that “I have never been as ashamed of the department and government that I serve as I am at this time,” calling it “inappropriate, unethical and indeed unlawful.”
John S. Koppel, US department of Justice:
“The public record now plainly demonstrates that both the DOJ and the government as a whole have been thoroughly politicized in a manner that is inappropriate, unethical and indeed unlawful. The unconscionable commutation of I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby's sentence, the misuse of warrantless investigative powers under the Patriot Act and the deplorable treatment of U.S. attorneys all point to an unmistakable pattern of abuse.”
“In the course of its tenure since the Sept. 11 attacks, the Bush administration has turned the entire government (and the DOJ in particular) into a veritable Augean stable on issues such as civil rights, civil liberties, international law and basic human rights, as well as criminal prosecution and federal employment and contracting practices. It has systematically undermined the rule of law in the name of fighting terrorism, and it has sought to insulate its actions from legislative or judicial scrutiny and accountability by invoking national security at every turn, engaging in persistent fear mongering, routinely impugning the integrity and/or patriotism of its critics, and protecting its own lawbreakers. This is neither normal government conduct nor “politics as usual,” but a national disgrace of a magnitude unseen since the days of Watergate — which, in fact, I believe it eclipses.”
I realize that this constitutionally protected statement subjects me to a substantial risk of unlawful reprisal from extremely ruthless people who have repeatedly taken such action in the past. But I am confident that I am speaking on behalf of countless thousands of honorable public servants, at Justice and elsewhere, who take their responsibilities seriously and share these views. And some things must be said, whatever the risk.
John S. Koppel has been a civil appellate attorney with the Department of Justice since 1981.
Justice Dept. ripped on 9/11 benefit case
BY ERNIE NASPRETTO
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Posted Thursday, June 28th 2007, 4:00 AM
A federal judge slammed as "arbitrary" the government's denial of survivor benefits to a longtime Jericho volunteer firefighter killed at the World Trade Center on 9/11.
Federal Claims Court Judge Marian Blank Horn said the federal government should have recognized the volunteer firefighter status of Glenn Winuk. Her decision cleared the way for his family to receive $250,000.
"It's not about the money. It's never been about the money. It's about recognizing the sacrifice this man made," said attorney Andrew Maloney, who worked pro bono for Winuk's parents.
Winuk, 40, was not married and had no children.
MIKE KILLS 'SENSITIVE' 9/11 PROBE
By SUSAN EDELMAN
March 18, 2007 -- Mayor Bloomberg killed a study on the city's response to the 9/11 attacks after his lawyers said they did not want a report that cited any missteps or dealt with "environmental" or "respirator issues," says a former city official.
City lawyers raised fears that the proposed "after-action report" - which the U.S. Department of Justice had offered to fund - could lead to criticism and fuel lawsuits, David Longshore, former director of special programs for the city's Office of Emergency Management, told The Post.
"The Bloomberg administration acted to sweep any potential problems under the rug," said Longshore, who was trapped in a loading dock outside the WTC while both towers collapsed. He later developed sinusitis and throat polyps and sued the city.