Sept. 11 memorial

Hunt for 9/11 remains to go on indefinitely

Source: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nationworld/bal-te.nat05jul05,0,1475307.story?coll=bal-attack-headlines

Hunt for 9/11 remains to go on indefinitely

Associated Press

July 5, 2007

NEW YORK -- When the hunt for human remains at the World Trade Center site was renewed last fall, city officials envisioned a yearlong search.

The investigation, which started after the unexpected discovery of bones in an abandoned manhole, so far has unearthed hundreds of human bones missed in the cleanup immediately after the Sept. 11 attacks.

With more remains being recovered daily, Deputy Mayor Ed Skyler said Tuesday that the goal of ending the search by this fall "is no longer attainable."

"Our experience over the last nine months and the ongoing rebuilding of the World Trade Center site and surrounding area suggest that search operations will continue in one form or another for the foreseeable future," Skyler said in a memo to Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg.

Since October, the search has yielded 677 human bones in and around Ground Zero; an added 785 have been found in the past two years in a vacant skyscraper damaged on Sept. 11, 2001.