World Trade Center site

World Trade Center deal between Port Authority, Silverstein hits a wall

World Trade Center deal between Port Authority, Silverstein hits a wall

By Douglas Feiden
Daily News Staff Writer

An ugly $300,000-a-day feud erupted Tuesday between the Port Authority and developer Larry Silverstein over the rebuilding of Ground Zero, the Daily News has learned.

The bistate agency claimed it had turned over "construction-ready" land at the site on Sunday to the builder to construct two enormous office towers - and no longer has to shell out late fees totaling $2.1 million a week.

Not true, says Silverstein. The plot hasn't been fully excavated and he can't start building Towers 2 and 4, the developer insists.
RELATED: P.A. SAYS WTC MEMORIAL WON'T BE READY BY 9/11/11

"It is unfortunate that the PA has failed to live up to its obligations," said Janno Lieber, president of World Trade Center Properties, the Silverstein company that is building three skyscrapers on the 16-acre site.

Noting that PA Executive Director Chris Ward had left a steel-and-timber retaining wall smack dab in the middle of the site, Silverstein executive Dara McQuillan joked, "Mr. Ward, tear down this wall."

Hunt for 9/11 remains to go on indefinitely

Source: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nationworld/bal-te.nat05jul05,0,1475307.story?coll=bal-attack-headlines

Hunt for 9/11 remains to go on indefinitely

Associated Press

July 5, 2007

NEW YORK -- When the hunt for human remains at the World Trade Center site was renewed last fall, city officials envisioned a yearlong search.

The investigation, which started after the unexpected discovery of bones in an abandoned manhole, so far has unearthed hundreds of human bones missed in the cleanup immediately after the Sept. 11 attacks.

With more remains being recovered daily, Deputy Mayor Ed Skyler said Tuesday that the goal of ending the search by this fall "is no longer attainable."

"Our experience over the last nine months and the ongoing rebuilding of the World Trade Center site and surrounding area suggest that search operations will continue in one form or another for the foreseeable future," Skyler said in a memo to Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg.

Since October, the search has yielded 677 human bones in and around Ground Zero; an added 785 have been found in the past two years in a vacant skyscraper damaged on Sept. 11, 2001.

Ground Zero worker tells of illnesses from 9/11

Source: http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070322/NEWS03/703220360

Ground Zero worker tells of illnesses from 9/11

Home News Tribune Online 03/22/07

By RAJU CHEBIUM
GANNETT NEWS SERVICE
rchebium@gns.gannett.com

WASHINGTON — A New Jersey man told a Senate panel today he has difficulty breathing and his lungs have thickened since he worked at the World Trade Center site on Sept. 11, 2001, and on cleanup efforts afterward.

Jeffrey Endean, a former commander with the Morris County Sheriff's Office who lives in Succasunna, was among the witnesses who discussed health problems he and thousands of people developed after breathing in the pulverized sheet rock, glass and concrete from the Twin Towers collapse and during debris removal later.