GregMQ's blog

9/11 Trial Could Be Stalled for Another 4 Years

Mark Hughes, New York Correspondent, The Telegraph | Aug. 22, 2012, 6:33 PM
Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-911-trial-could-be-stalled-for-another-four-years-2012-8

The trial of the five men charged over the September 11 attacks on America will not be televised and may not begin for another four years, it has been disclosed.

Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and his four co-conspirators are due to be tried at Guantanamo Bay military base for the murders of 2,976 people in what has been dubbed the 'trial of the century'.

But yesterday both the prosecution and defence conceded that the trial will not be televised, unlike many high profile trials in America.

And the defence claimed that, while the hearings have begun, they do not expect that actual trial to start until 2016 – 15 years after the attacks which prompted the USA's war on terror and remain the worst terror atrocity in history.

Unlike in the UK, many US trials are broadcast on television and can be watched at home.

High profile cases such as the trial of OJ Simpson and that of Conrad Murray, the doctor accused of killing Michael Jackson, have been televised in America, as have many other US trials.

But yesterday the military prosecutor Brigadier General Mark Martins said that the trial of the 9/11 conspirators would not be broadcast on television, as per the current laws surrounding military commissions. He said: "The government position is that the rule works."

He said that a "fair and appropriate balance" would be to have the trial screened in selected military bases and courtrooms in the USA.

Senate report: Bin Laden was 'within our grasp'

Senate report: Bin Laden was 'within our grasp'

By CALVIN WOODWARD, Associated Press Writer – 2 hrs 41 mins ago

WASHINGTON – Osama bin Laden was unquestionably within reach of U.S. troops in the mountains of Tora Bora when American military leaders made the crucial and costly decision not to pursue the terrorist leader with massive force, a Senate report says.

The report asserts that the failure to kill or capture bin Laden at his most vulnerable in December 2001 has had lasting consequences beyond the fate of one man. Bin Laden's escape laid the foundation for today's reinvigorated Afghan insurgency and inflamed the internal strife now endangering Pakistan , it says.

Staff members for the Senate Foreign Relations Committee's Democratic majority prepared the report at the request of the chairman, Sen. John Kerry , as President Barack Obama prepares to boost U.S. troops in Afghanistan .

9/11 widow dies in plane crash

9/11 widow killed in crash near Buffalo

Sister tells paper that Beverly Eckert was on Flight 3407 when it went down

J. Scott Applewhite / AP FILE
5:49 a.m. ET Feb. 13, 2009
Source: MSNBC.com

A widow of a victim of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the World Trade Center was among those killed in a plane crash near Buffalo, N.Y., late Thursday, her sister told a local newspaper.

"We know she was on that plane and now she's with him," Beverly Eckert’s sister Sue Borque told The Buffalo News.

Eckert's husband, Sean Rooney, was a native of Buffalo, the newspaper said. Eckert was flying to Buffalo for celebrations with relatives marking the 58th birthday of her late husband, the paper said.

Continental Express Flight 3407 out of Newark, N.J., had been scheduled to land at 10:40 p.m.

Eckert worked as the co-chair of the Voice of Sept. 11, an advocacy group that pushed for wider investigations into the Sept. 11 attacks, NBC affiliate WNBC reported.

In Buffalo, she had been scheduled to deliver an address to Canisus High School, where her husband’s memory was to be honored with a scholarship, WNBC said.

Pakistan: Nuke scientist Khan is free

72-year-old allegedly leaked technology to Iran, North Korea and Libya

Source: The Associated Press
updated 9:42 a.m. ET Feb. 6, 2009

ISLAMABAD - A Pakistan court declared disgraced nuclear scientist Abdul Qadeer Khan a "free citizen" on Friday after years of de facto house arrest because of his alleged role in leaking atomic weapons technology to countries including Iran, North Korea and Libya.

A smiling Khan emerged from his house and addressed reporters face-to-face for the first time since 2004 but indicated he would not be talking about Pakistan's secretive nuclear program and about who else was involved in leaking its secrets around the world.

"We don't want to talk about the past things," he said as the guards who have enforced his long isolation stood aside for a throng of TV crews and journalists.

Khan, the architect of Pakistan's nuclear program, took sole responsibility in 2004 for leaking the nuclear secrets but was immediately pardoned by former President Pervez Musharraf and placed under de facto house arrest.

ACLU wants probe into police-staged DNC protest

I wanted to add this to my blog. This is a few day old article that I had recently discovered and I did warn in the past of agent provocateurs interrupting peaceful protests across the U.S. (I apologize if this article had already been added by another member)...

ACLU wants probe into police-staged DNC protest
By Felisa Cardona
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 11/07/2008 10:25:14 AM MST

Source: DenverPost.com

When a Jefferson County deputy unleashed pepper spray at unruly protesters on the first night of the Democratic National Convention, he did not know that his targets were undercover Denver police officers.

Now the American Civil Liberties Union of Colorado is questioning whether that staged confrontation by police pretending to be violent inflamed other protesters or officers during the most intense night of the four-day event.

The protest occurred Aug. 25 at 15th Street and Court Place near Civic Center. Police ultimately arrested 106 people, the highest number of arrests in a single day during the convention.

Congressmen say FBI has some explaining to do

Anthrax investigation should be investigated, congressmen say

Sen. Charles Grassley and Rep. Rush Holt want hearings into the Justice Department and FBI's handling of the case.

By Josh Meyer, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
August 8, 2008

Source: LATimes.com

WASHINGTON -- After seven long years, the FBI and the Justice Department say they are closing the books on the anthrax investigation.

But the investigation into the investigation is only beginning, and it will focus on what Congress members described Thursday as apparent missteps by authorities that dramatically prolonged the probe, unfairly maligned an innocent government scientist, and raised questions about whether federal agents had conclusively ruled out other suspects besides microbiologist Bruce E. Ivins.

Sen. Charles E. Grassley (R-Iowa) and Rep. Rush D. Holt (D-N.J.), frequent critics of the FBI, demanded a far more detailed release of documents by the bureau and the Justice Department to support the government's case, as well as congressional hearings into the investigation.

White House attempted to pin Anthrax Attacks on Al Qaeda

FBI was told to blame Anthrax scare on Al Qaeda by White House officials

Source: NYDailyNews.com

BY JAMES GORDON MEEK DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU
Saturday, August 2nd 2008, 6:32 PM

WASHINGTON - In the immediate aftermath of the 2001 anthrax attacks, White House officials repeatedly pressed FBI Director Robert Mueller to prove it was a second-wave assault by Al Qaeda, but investigators ruled that out, the Daily News has learned.

After the Oct. 5, 2001, death from anthrax exposure of Sun photo editor Robert Stevens , Mueller was "beaten up" during President Bush's morning intelligence briefings for not producing proof the killer spores were the handiwork of terrorist mastermind Osama Bin Laden, according to a former aide.

"They really wanted to blame somebody in the Middle East ," the retired senior FBI official told The News.

McCain suggests military-style invasion of US inner city to control crimes

This guy gets my vote! Seriously, though, this smells like military dictatorship to me.

A Surge on the Homefront?
August 01, 2008 12:48 PM

Source: http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/08/a-surge-on-the.html
ABC News' David Wright reports: Answering a question at the Urban League about his approach to combating crime, John McCain suggested that military strategies currently employed by US troops in Iraq could be applied to high crime neighborhoods here in the US.

McCain at first praised the crime-fighting efforts of Rudolph Giuliani when he was mayor of New York City. Then he down-shifted into an approach that sounded considerably harsher.

McCain called them tactics "somewhat like we use in the military."

"You go into neighborhoods, you clamp down, you provide a secure environment for the people that live there, and you make sure that the known criminals are kept under control," he said. "And you provide them with a stable environment and then they cooperate with law enforcement."

The way he described it, his approach sounded an awful lot like the surge.

9/11 Conspiracy Sticker Caused Delay of Boston Flight

College student with 9/11 conspiracy sticker forces delay of Boston flight

July 31, 2008 10:08 AM
By Globe Staff

A former Worcester man will be in court today after he allegedly caused a lengthy delay on a Delta flight by slapping a 9/11 conspiracy sticker in a lavatory before running out of the aircraft just before takeoff Wednesday, State Police said.

Jason Robo, who listed Worcester as his birthplace and said he currently is attending college in California, had boarded the flight bound for Salt Late City around 5:30 p.m. when the air crew noticed he was acting nervously, said David Procopio, State Police spokesman. Robo was spotted entering one of the bathrooms, and, after he left, a crew member found what appeared to be a handmade sticker.

"9/11 was an inside job,'' the sticker read, according to Procopio.

As other passengers were still boarding, Robo suddenly bolted off the plane. "I have to get off this plane,'' he allegedly said.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2008/07/globe_staff_a_f.html

U.S. let Osama bin Laden's top bodyguard go

Guantanamo testimony: U.S. let bin Laden's top bodyguard go
By Carol Rosenberg | The Miami Herald

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVY BASE, Cuba — Soon after Osama bin Laden's driver got here in 2002, he told interrogators the identity of the al Qaeda chief's most senior bodyguard — then a fellow prison camp detainee.

But, inexplicably, the U.S. let the bodyguard go.

This startling information was revealed in the fourth day of the war crimes trial of Salim Hamdan, 37, facing conspiracy and material support for terror charges as an alleged member of bin Laden's inner circle.

Michael St. Ours, an agent with the Naval Criminal Intelligence Service, NCIS, provided the first tidbit. He testified for the prosecution that his job as a prison camps interrogator in May 2002 was to find and focus on the bodyguards among the detainees.

And Hamdan helped identify 30 of them — 10 percent of the roughly 300 detainees then held here. They had just been transferred to Camp Delta from the crude compound called Camp X-Ray, and U.S. intelligence was still trying to unmask them.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/homepage/story/45505.html

Flashback: Report Warned Of Suicide Hijackings

Although the article was dated in 2002, still an important article to look into.

(CBS) Two years before the Sept. 11 attacks, an analysis prepared for U.S. intelligence warned that Osama bin Laden's terrorists could hijack an airliner and fly it into government buildings like the Pentagon.

"Suicide bomber(s) belonging to al Qaeda's Martyrdom Battalion could crash-land an aircraft packed with high explosives (C-4 and semtex) into the Pentagon, the headquarters of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), or the White House," the September 1999 report said.

The Bush administration has asserted that no one in government had envisioned a suicide hijacking before it happened.

"Had I know that the enemy was going to use airplanes to kill on that fateful morning, I would have done everything in my power to protect the American people," Mr. Bush told U.S. Air Force Academy football team members who were visiting the White House on Friday. It was his first public comment on revelations this week that he was told Aug. 6 that bin Laden wanted to hijack planes.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/05/18/attack/main509488.shtml

No New Evidence of Al Qaeda Threats

No new evidence of al Qaeda threat despite report: U.S.

By JoAnne Allen - Wed May 28, 12:04 AM

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - There is no evidence of a direct threat from al Qaeda or that the group has obtained weapons of mass destruction, U.S. intelligence officials said on Tuesday, despite reports that al Qaeda will release a new video urging jihadists to use such weapons to attack the West.

FBI spokesman Richard Kolko said the bureau sent out an alert to U.S. law enforcement agencies about the expected video. "We got information the tape is coming," he said. "We sent out an alert to law enforcement to let them know the tape was coming."

Kolko said the alert was a routine precaution sent to 1,800 U.S. law enforcement agencies.

ABC News reported on Tuesday evening that the video was expected in the next 24 hours.

However, IntelCenter, a U.S.-based terrorism monitoring firm, said the video being referred to was actually released at least as early as Monday and is entitled "Nuclear Jihad, The Ultimate Terror."

Charges against the "20th Hijacker" in September 11th attacks dropped

US drops charges against Saudi in Sept. 11 attacks
By BEN FOX, Associated Press Writer
Tue May 13, 12:49 AM ET

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - The Pentagon has dropped charges against a Saudi at Guantanamo who was alleged to have been the so-called "20th hijacker" in the Sept. 11 attacks, his U.S. military defense lawyer said Monday.

Mohammed al-Qahtani was one of six men charged by the military in February with murder and war crimes for their alleged roles in the 2001 attacks. Authorities say al-Qahtani missed out on taking part in the attacks because he was denied entry to the U.S. by an immigration agent.

But in reviewing the case, the convening authority for military commissions, Susan Crawford, decided to dismiss the charges against al-Qahtani and proceed with the arraignment for the other five, said Army Lt. Col. Bryan Broyles, the Saudi's military lawyer.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080513/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/guantanamo_sept11_trial

Haaretz: Report: Netanyahu says 9/11 terror attacks good for Israel

Report: Netanyahu says 9/11 terror attacks good for Israel
Last update - 17:34 16/04/2008
By Haaretz Service and Reuters

The Israeli newspaper Ma'ariv on Wednesday reported that Likud leader Benjamin Netanyahu told an audience at Bar Ilan university that the September 11, 2001 terror attacks had been beneficial for Israel.

"We are benefiting from one thing, and that is the attack on the Twin Towers and Pentagon, and the American struggle in Iraq," Ma'ariv quoted the former prime minister as saying. He reportedly added that these events "swung American public opinion in our favor." ...

Continued...
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/975574.html


What Netanyahu said 9-12-2001:

A DAY OF TERROR: THE ISRAELIS; Spilled Blood Is Seen as Bond That Draws 2 Nations Closer
JAMES BENNET
Published: September 12, 2001

Asked tonight what the attack meant for relations between the United States and Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu, the former prime minister, replied, ''It's very good.'' Then he edited himself: ''Well, not very good, but it will generate immediate sympathy.'' He predicted that the attack would ''strengthen the bond between our two peoples, because we've experienced terror over so many decades, but the United States has now experienced a massive hemorrhaging of terror.''

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F07E4D91238F931A2575AC0A9679C8B63

UN Could Lead New 9/11 Investigation, Says Japanese MP

Fujita says potential move afoot to have global body probe suspicions surrounding terror attacks

Paul Joseph Watson
Prison Planet
Monday, March 31, 2008

Japanese member of Parliament Yukihisa Fujita told the Alex Jones Show yesterday that a potential new investigation of the 9/11 cover-up could be led by global parliamentarians he has been in contact with, or even by the United Nations itself.

Fujita, an MP for the Japanese Democratic Party, and a member of the House of Councillors in the Diet (national legislature), presented evidence which contradicted the official 9/11 story during a widely publicized Japanese Defense and Foreign Affairs Committee meeting in January of this year.

Following Fujita's presentation in the Japanese Diet, he also took part in a 9/11 truth conference at the EU Parliament in Brussels on February 26th which was hosted by Italian MEP Giullietto Chiesa (both presentations can be viewed at the end of this article).