Bruce Ivins' Mental Health and his link to "BioPort"

(Edit: A couple more notes on Jean Duley's background here.)

Dr. Meryl Nass, an expert witness on bioterrorism, Gulf War Syndrome, and anthrax in particular, is following the case of the deceased Bruce Ivins on her blog;

Looking closer at Jean Duley's statements

The AP has reported startling and frightening claims by Dr. Ivins' therapist Jean Duley in several stories, including one just published by Dishneau and Jordan:

Report: Therapist feared scientist poisoned people

She claimed, "As far back as the year 2000, the respondent has actually attempted to murder several other people, either through poisoning. He is a revenge killer. When he feels that he's been slighted or has had — especially toward women — he plots and actually tries to carry out revenge killings," Duley said. She added that Ivins "has been forensically diagnosed by several top psychiatrists as a sociopathic, homicidal killer. I have that in evidence. And through my working with him, I also believe that to be very true."

As a physician who is called to assess psychiatric patients presenting to the ER, I find her statements troubling: if any of these psychiatrists diagnosed Ivins as homicidal, that physician would be required to start immediate proceedings for psychiatric hospital commitment. Patients who are a danger to themselves or others must not be allowed to carry out such activities. That is the law.

Furthermore, if Duley believed Ivins had attempted serial murders, she would be required to consult with her supervising physician and immediately call in the police. Was this done? Who was poisoned? If, as reported, she had only been treating Ivins for six months, what evidence did she have of more remote attacks? ...

Ivins was linked to federal contractor "BioPort";

...Ivins was thrust into the federal investigation of the mailings, as well. He helped the FBI analyze anthrax recovered from a letter addressed to then-Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle, D-S.D.

He also played a lead role in helping a private company, BioPort, win regulatory approval to continue making the vaccine required for U.S. service personnel deployed to Iraq, Afghanistan and other regions.

From 2000 to early 2002, Ivins and two colleagues from USAMRIID helped BioPort resolve problems related to the potency of the vaccine. Because of those and other manufacturing difficulties, production had been suspended. The efforts of Ivins and his colleagues helped BioPort win Food and Drug Administration approval to resume production...

Jerome Hauer, and Joe Allbaugh are currently directors of Emergent Solutions, BioPort's Parent Company.

Hauer was a co-worker of Steven Hatfill, a prior anthrax link.

Hauer was hanging out with John O'Neill until about 2am on 9/10/2001... where supposedly O'Neill told Hauer that "something was gonna happen", and this is how Hauer was able to make his miraculous identification of the 9/11 perps, on 9/11. Supposedly.

Listen to Sander Hicks' interview with Hauer here. Among other things, Hauer denies the 9/11 Cipro link;

Also check out Hicks' article, Spitzer's Real Scandal;

"Post-9/11, Jerome Hauer went on to be Coordinator of the National Institute of Health's investigation of anthrax deaths. His report blamed Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda. That assertion has been widely discredited, since the five deaths in 2001 were from a fine, “weaponized” form of anthrax, the “Ames Strain” that only the U.S. military and U.S. federal government possessed.

On 9/11, Jerome Hauer appeared on television with Dan Rather. Rather posited that the 9/11 attacks must have had state sponsorship. Hauer urged Rather to blame Bin Laden only. When Rather voiced suspicions about the way the buildings fell, Hauer offered that they simply came down because they were hit by a plane. Without an investigation, Hauer somehow knew two major parts of 9/11’s official story before it emerged.

Hauer is a biological terrorism expert whose resume includes time at Science Applications International Corp (SAIC), a military contractor doing work in nuclear issues and psy-ops, and Bioport, manufacturer of the controversial anthrax vaccine."

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S. Thompson.

Things sure are weird right now.

Blame the dead guy

Case closed. How convenient.


No Autopsy

Ivins's death is being investigated as an apparent suicide from a drug overdose, said Lieutenant Shawn Martyak of the Frederick Police Department's criminal investigation division. Based on laboratory test results of blood taken from the body, the state medical examiner ``determined that an autopsy wouldn't be necessary'' to determine the cause of death, Martyak said.


Here's a link to excerpts of a tape from Maryland District Court in Frederick, Md., in which therapist Jean Duley successfully obtained a restraining order against Bruce E. Ivins. The New York Times obtained the 10-minute recording of the July 24 hearing and posted it on its Web site Saturday.


Why did MD District Court allow this tape to be released?


Why would a Bioterrorism Expert who supposedly bought himself a bullet proof vest because he was going to shoot his co-workers, a man who threatened to also poison a number of people, use Tylenol w codeine to try to kill himself? Even with a massive overdose, this is a very hard way to do yourself in. Especially when you're still alive, when you get to the hospital and continue to live for two more days. But oh no, we don't need no stinking autopsy.

I agree

It is close to impossible to snuff yourself with Tylenol and codeine. We may never know how he died with no autopsy. Obviously he was suisided by the NWO boys. Just more blood on their hands. Just another day at the office for these thugs.

Homicidal Man Not An Early Suspect?

And why would such a supposedly dangerous man be allowed to work directly with lethal bio-weapons materials by the U.S. government?

And again - if he were suspected of poisoning attempts as early as 2000, why didn't the FBI immediately view him as a suspect?

And no autopsy?

In my opinion, something is wrong with this picture.

Getting an autopsy

Aren't his family demanding an autopsy?

Couldn't they or some relatives simply order an autopsy?

They might be too afraid?

It sounds like the whole family has been under incredible pressure for the last 7 years, while this investigation has dragged on. Even if they know there was foul play, who are they going to complain to? The FBI?

Hurray for Meryl

We both entered MIT in the fall on 1968 as undergraduates.

Hang down your head Jean Duley

Hang down your head and Lie

Coincidently Jean Duley

is an aspiring fiction writer.


Jean Duley
Frederick, Maryland, United States
Email: deleted

I am currently working on a Fiction/bio on life filled with story and full speed head long drama. I want to write for any publication that wants real life stories and stories about poeple.

Interests: My passion is people, their lives, their interests, the world and how it works. I want to know how and what has happened to people and how their lives have affected others. I have studied sociology and Addictions.

Published writer: No

Freelance: Yes


Sounds like someone who's good at making things up.

No one has explained

how this supposed anthrax killer targeted two liberal Democrat senators who opposed the Patriot Act, and mailed anthrax to a photographer who took embarrassing photos of the Bush twins.

So, what, in his insanity he just happened to carry out obviously politically motivated crimes?

No way. This is a frame up.

Totally. Interesting


Interesting character witness stmts in the Washington Post today:

"Jaye Holly, who lived next door to the Ivinses until she and her husband moved to New York a month ago, said she couldn't believe that her former neighbor, who was obsessed with grass recycling and who happily drove a 20-year-old faded red van, would endanger others for financial gain.

"I can't imagine him being involved in a scheme to make money or to make a profit, especially one that would put people at risk or even die," Holly said. "That's not the Bruce we knew. He was sweet, friendly. I mean, he was into grass recycling."

Fits the pattern of another type of "inside job" . . . and also similar to this:

The Story of a 15-Year Pentagon Cover-Up

A Colonel in the US Marine Corps is bludgeoned to death in his home on the El Toro air station. A shot gun blast in his mouth fakes his suicide. His widow and his brother say he was set to expose secret arms flights. Former US Senator James Abourezk lays out a compelling case for a relentless cover-up by the Marine Corps and the federal government. "

Summer of Truth

Washington Post article interesting....

""I really don't think he's the guy. I say to the FBI, 'Show me your evidence,' " said Jeffrey J. Adamovicz, former director of the bacteriology division at the U.S. Army Medical Research Institute for Infectious Diseases, or USAMRIID, on the grounds of the sprawling Army fort in Frederick. "A lot of the tactics they used were designed to isolate him from his support. The FBI just continued to push his buttons." "

They leaned on Ivins and intimidated him.

"Another scientist who worked with Ivins acknowledged it would have been technically possible to manufacture powdered anthrax at Fort Detrick, but unlikely that anyone could have done so without being detected.

"As well as we knew each other, and the way the labs were run, someone would discover what was going on," said the scientist, "especially since dry spores were not something that we prepared or worked with." "

They don't manufacture dry spores at Ft Detrick? You just don't know what to believe? This is the Washington Post, government mouthpiece, reporting?

Ivins, lone anthrax-wielding scientist and avid grass recycler...
..don't believe it!

You've noticed something, right?

Many mainstream reports are calling it an "apparent suicide". This is a sign of forward, though painfully slow, progress.

Daschle Knows Better

Daschle criticizes FBI's handling of anthrax probe

The Associated Press
9:45 AM CDT, August 3, 2008

WASHINGTON - Former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle, whose office was a target of the anthrax attacks in 2001, said Sunday the suicide of the government's main suspect does not mean the case is over.

Daschle said the FBI has not given him any new updates. He also raised questions about the quality of the investigation, noting that the government recently paid out almost $6 million to a former Army scientist, Steven Hatfill, who accused authorities of unfairly targeting him in the anthrax case.

"From the very beginning I've had real concerns about the quality of the investigation," Daschle said in a broadcast interview. "Given the fact that they already paid somebody else $5 million for the mistakes they must have made gives you some indication of the overall caliber and quality of the investigation."

Five people died and 17 others were sickened when anthrax-laced letters began showing up at congressional offices, newsrooms and post offices soon after Sept. 11, 2001.

The case re-emerged in the news this past week as investigators prepared to charge a government scientist Bruce Ivins in the case. Ivins died Tuesday in what has been ruled a suicide.

"Unfortunately, it doesn't bring anything to closure," Daschle said. "This probably further complicates their ability to get to the facts."

He said he did not know if the investigation involving Ivins "is just another false track and a real diversion of where they need to be. We don't know and they aren't telling us."

Daschle appeared on "Fox News Sunday."

Death by Tylenol

Death by Tylenol OD is basically death by liver failure, which is a long drawn-out process that can take weeks. No amount could cause immediate death or loss of consciousness as described in the Ivin's case.

Here are the technical details (from UpToDate):

CLINICAL MANIFESTATIONS — The initial manifestations of acetaminophen poisoning are often mild and nonspecific, and do not reliably predict subsequent hepatotoxicity [32,62] . However, physicians must promptly recognize acetaminophen poisoning in order to minimize subsequent morbidity and mortality. The clinical course of poisoning is often divided in four sequential stages.

Stage I (0.5 to 24 hours) — In the first 24 hours after overdose, patients often manifest nausea, vomiting, diaphoresis, pallor, lethargy, and malaise. Some patients remain asymptomatic. Laboratory studies are typically normal. Central nervous system depression and elevated anion gap metabolic acidosis are rarely seen after massive acetaminophen overdose [63] ; these symptoms in acetaminophen poisoned patients are usually due to coingestants.

Stage II (24 to 72 hours) — From 24 to 72 hours after ingestion, the clinical and laboratory evidence of hepatotoxicity and, occasionally, nephrotoxicity become evident. Initially, stage I symptoms usually resolve and patients appear to improve clinically while subclinical elevations of hepatic aminotransferases (AST, ALT) occur. Occasionally, aminotransferases may rise as early as 8 to 12 hours after acetaminophen ingestion in severely poisoned patients [64] . Of patients that develop hepatic injury, over one half will demonstrate aminotransferase elevation within 24 hours and all have elevations by 36 hours [64] . As stage II progresses, patients develop right upper quadrant pain, with liver enlargement and tenderness. Elevations of prothrombin time (PT), total bilirubin, and oliguria and renal function abnormalities may become evident.

Acute pancreatitis has also been described in case reports [65,66] . In some patients, concurrent alcohol use can both contribute to the hepatotoxicity and be responsible for the pancreatitis [67] .

Stage III (72 to 96 hours) — Liver function abnormalities peak from 72 to 96 hours after ingestion. The systemic symptoms of stage I reappear in conjunction with jaundice, confusion (hepatic encephalopathy), a marked elevation in hepatic enzymes, hyperammonemia, and a bleeding diathesis (show radiograph 1). Signs of severe hepatotoxicity include plasma ALT and AST levels that often exceed 10,000 IU/L, prolongation of the PT or INR, hypoglycemia, lactic acidosis, and a total bilirubin concentration above 4.0 mg/dL (primarily indirect).

Acute renal failure occurs in 25 percent of patients with significant hepatotoxicity and in more than 50 percent of those with frank hepatic failure [23,68] . Acute renal failure is manifested by elevations of blood urea nitrogen and creatinine along with proteinuria, hematuria, and granular casts on urinalysis. Acute renal failure is due primarily to acute tubular necrosis. Death most commonly occurs in this stage, usually from multiorgan system failure [23] . (See "Acetaminophen (paracetamol)-induced acute renal failure").

Stage IV (4 days to 2 weeks) — Patients who survive stage III enter a recovery phase that usually begins by day 4 and is complete by 7 days after overdose [32] . Recovery can be slower in severely ill patients; symptoms and laboratory values may not normalize for several weeks. Histologic changes in the liver vary from cytolysis to centrilobular necrosis. The centrilobular region (zone III) is preferentially involved because it is the area of greatest concentration of CYP2E1 and therefore the site of maximal production of NAPQI. Histologic recovery lags behind clinical recovery and may take up to 3 months. When recovery occurs, it is complete; chronic hepatic dysfunction is not a sequela of acetaminophen poisoning.

What about the codeine?

Could that, alone or in combination with acetaminophen, kill quickly?


Adding in the codeine doesn't really change the picture much, except to add some sedation to the phase 1 presentation (otherwise the patient is basically alert & oriented). Codeine is a weak opiate agonist so it causes very little respiratory depression, and it doesn't interact with metabolism of Tylenol.

I've never heard of anyone killing themselves with a Tylenol with codeine overdose in some 30 years of practicing medicine, but if it ever happened it would have taken several large handfuls of pills, something difficult to accomplish at best and (one would hope) more so as I understand the gentleman was hospitalized at the time.


Actually, I think he was released from the hospital 2-3 days before he died, and supposedly took the pills at home.

What is the therapist's educational and professional background?

The quotations from this therapist are not literate. Both in the statements quoted in this story, and in the photocopies of the restraining order requests, apparently filled out personally by the therapist, there are several sentences with incomplete clauses.

It may sound a little rude to quibble about such a point, but especially after reading that this therapist is also an aspiring writer, I'd expect more attention to grammar -- even under these circumstances.

Just what educational levels has this therapist achieved? What degrees, from what schools, certification with which state professional bodies, how long ago? What is the career history of this therapist? How was their professional relationship initiated -- strictly personally, initiated by Ivins, or is Duley strictly working under government contract? If Duley is working for the government, I'm sorry, but this doesn't sound like the a-string was sent in.

The line about writing aspirations and having experiences with addictions sounds off-kilter. Is Duley an addictions counselor? Is that an apropriate background for dealing with someone like Ivins, if Ivins indeed had the psychological issues ascribed to him?

You don't have to be a "911-truther" to find these points, and possibly their follow-ups, curious on their face. If the credentials of this therapist look questonable on their face, this could create a story-line worth following up, in order to establish a base of evidence that more mainstream reporters to take up without mentioning a peep about 911-truth or anthrax-truth. Just another solid story about why the government would have such a person involved in such a high-profile case. And that can be the sort of story that gives folks a reason to edge into the questionable aspects of the anthrax case, even after all these years. Just the opposite of the clean wrap-up the "move-along crew" was looking for, you think?

A different point of view

If I were investigating this, I'd first check to see the management of the labs had been outsourced - and if their were any foreign cheap labor H1-B's.

But, I'd put my effort into this guy: John Agwunobi - alleged MD. Didn't Jeb Bush issue a state of emergency before 9/11? This was probably why. btw.. John has a brother who is also allegedly a doctor. His name is Andrew.

Check out this article Starts pg 26

"Agwunobi, who heads up those preparedness efforts, became acting health secretary on September 10, 2001, and took over the permanent job on October 2, the day before the first positive anthrax test. In his opinion, the key ingredient to the state’s success is its highly centralized system.

The state controls each county health department in Florida, making decisions on hiring and firing, as well as policy. “We have this infrastructure that most states don’t have,” says Agwunobi. “It’s easy for us as a state to establish standards and disseminate information into every county health department.”

Shortly after September 11, Governor Jeb Bush divided the state into seven regions for domestic security planning. Within each region, representatives from public health agencies, law enforcement and hospitals met to hash out a plan for bioterrorism protection. The groups discussed issues such as smallpox vaccination, pharmaceutical stockpile distribution and tabletop drills but, even more important, formed partnerships that are ongoing. “It became obvious that partnerships are the key assets that must be developed and nurtured,” says Agwunobi."

White House Bio

"Dr. Agwunobi is a seasoned public health professional with experience in health care delivery, managed care, and health policy. Prior to becoming the ASH, Dr. Agwunobi served as Florida's Secretary of Health and State Health Officer, under Governor Jeb Bush, from October 2001 to September 2005. Dr. Agwunobi confronted many public health challenges during his tenure, including leading the state's public health and medical response to the unprecedented four major hurricanes that struck Florida in 2004. In addition, the day after being named Secretary, Dr. Agwunobi led the Florida Department of Health in its response to the nation's first-ever intentional anthrax attack. He subsequently guided the state's nationally-recognized efforts to prepare for, prevent, respond to, and mitigate the effects of a bioterrorism attack. His Department's many successes included responses to West Nile, SARS, and numerous other infectious disease outbreaks,

Florida bio

October 8, 2001 - first anthrax victims


Today, County Health Department Director Dr. Susan Turner announced that Florida Department of Health (DOH) Secretary John O. Agwunobi, M.D., M.B.A., has issued a medical alert for Walton County due to increased West Nile activity within Walton County’s
sentinel chicken flocks and wild bird population, and the occurrences of human cases neighboring counties.

Most people who are infected with the West Nile virus will not have any type of illness. It is estimated that 20% of
the people who become infected will develop West Nile fever: mild symptoms, including fever, headache, and body
aches, occasionally with a skin rash on the trunk of the body and swollen lymph glands.

The symptoms of severe infection (West Nile encephalitis or meningitis) include headache, high fever, neck
stiffness, stupor, disorientation, coma, tremors, convulsions, muscle weakness, and paralysis. It is estimated that 1
in 150 persons infected with the West Nile virus will develop a more severe form of disease.

Physicians should contact the County Health Department if they suspect an individual may have a mosquito-borne illness. DOH
laboratories provide testing services for physicians treating patients with clinical signs of mosquito-borne disease.
DOH continues to advise the public to remain diligent in their personal mosquito protection efforts. These should include the “5 D’s” for

Agwunobi left government service and got a job at Walmart.

Now he's president of Walmart Health & Wellness Business Unit.

And how much would you like to be that the Walmart stores will be the mass innoculation centers for the planned (rather obviously) pandemic?